The Snow Leopard Expedition - Spiti Valley
The Snow Leopard Expedition gives you a chance to get a glimpse of one of the most rare and magnificent animals known for their distinctive fur and long tail. They are usually found in Alpine and sub-Alpine zones as they prefer to stay in rocky regions and above the tree line. The scientific name for a Snow Leopard is Panthera Uncia and it is listed as “Endangered” on the IUCN Red List. The primary diet of Snow Leopards consists of Blue Sheep, Ibex and sometimes small animals like marmots, hare, and some birds. They have adapted to the extreme environment of the Himalayas and are native to only the Central Asian region. Thus it becomes very difficult to spot a Snow Leopard if you do not know where to look.
Here’s a chance to see the magnificent Snow Leopard in its natural habitat. The Kibber Wildlife Sanctuary, in the Spiti Valley is one of the most famous places to spot the Snow Leopard. This Wildlife Sanctuary was established in 1992 in Spiti Valley, Himachal Pradesh, India.
The Snow Leopard Expedition in Spiti Valley is the perfect excursion to spot the wild cat as well as enjoy the snow-laden landscape of the mesmerizing Spiti Valley. This 7-day journey gives you ample opportunities to come face to face with the animal and also with the other animal species that thrive in the region; the list also includes numerous reptiles as well as birds. Kibber Wildlife Sanctuary is also a significant reserve for the conservation of Himalayan ibex, Blue Sheep, Redfox, etc. While on this adventurous journey, you will get the opportunity to come across all of the endangered animals.
The Snow Leopard Expedition in Brief
Detailed Tour Plan / Itinerary
Day 01: Rampur to Kaza
We will pick you up from Rampur early morning and head towards Kaza. Reach kaza by evening and check into the Hotel. Overnight stay in Homestay.
Day 02: Kaza to Kibber
Start early in the morning and after freshening up, head to Kibber. At an elevation of more than 4200 metres, Kibber is a small yet charming village. It is surrounded by lush fields, and the houses here are built in the traditional Tibetan style of architecture.
The village lies in Spiti Valley, which is home to snow leopards. Besides these cats, a large number of other mammals and reptiles are also found in Kibber Wildlife Sanctuary. On reaching Kibber, transfer to the Homestay and enjoy a good night’s sleep.
Day 03: Snow Leopard Sighting Excursion
This is the day when the on-foot adventure of the snow leopard trail in Kibber begins. Freshen up early in the morning, take your packed lunch, and proceed to get a sight of the rare cat. This section will prove why this hike is counted among the most popular hikes in Spiti Valley.
With a population of only a few thousand, the snow leopards are found only in the central Asian region. As you wander in the area, you might spot the wild cat strolling in the park, looking for a hunt. In case you do not, you will have plenty of opportunities in future. Later, return to the Homestay and spend the night.
Day 04: Snow Leopard Sighting Excursion
Again, start early in the morning, take your packed lunches and head out to spot a snow leopard. Walk from hill to hill, looking for paw prints that could hint about the location of a snow leopard.
In case you spot one, do not waste time and immediately click a few pictures. Also, these animals are a little shy and can disappear in the blink of an eye, so it is better to enjoy every second of the sight.
Even if no traces of a snow leopard are found, it is highly probable that you will come face to face with an Asiatic ibex or Tibetan wolf. You might also spot a blue sheep standing on steep slopes. Kibber Wildlife Sanctuary is also home to a large number of birds. About 72 species of birds, belonging to 28 families have been recorded here. This list includes White-tailed Ruby throat, Brown Accentor, Horn Lark, Alpine Chough, Himalayan Snow cock, Himalayan Pigeon, Golden Eagle, Tibetan snow finches and red-fronted rose finches etc. After spotting the fascinating wildlife of the park, return to the Homestay.
Day 05: Snow Leopard Sighting Excursion
Repeat day 04 Activity.
Day 06: Snow Leopard Sighting Excursion
On this last day of snow leopard adventure, begin before the sun comes out, pick your packed lunch and head out for the wildlife spotting tour. Since they have evolved to easily hide in the mountainous region, it can be hard to spot one. Look carefully, as one might be hiding behind a boulder.
This is your final day in Kibber Wildlife Sanctuary; therefore, you should click as many pictures as possible. After the photo session, retreat to Kibber and enjoy a good night’s sleep.
Day 07: Kibber to Rampur
Freshen up in the morning and drive back to Rampur. The 228-km journey takes about a full day, and you arrive in the town in the evening. Overnight stay in Rampur.
- Pick & Drop – Ex Rampur.
- Accommodation in Homestays.
- Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner throughout the expedition.
- 1 professional Guide well versed will the local culture, flora & fauna.
- 2 Scanners.
- Porters & Support Team.
- Walky Talky (For Officials Only).
- Transportation for Entire Expedition.
- Medical Kit with Oxygen Cylinder.
- 05% GST.
- Personal Expenses.
- Transportation not mentioned under the head inclusions.
- Personal Gear/Specialized clothing for cold weather.
- Medical or any other emergency evacuation costs.
- Cameras/batteries any other props Like Binoculars, Lenses etc.
- Any charges for a manual or helicopter evacuation, hospitalization in case of a medical emergency or the like.
- Sanctuary and Monastery fees.
- Any other natural calamities like Road block, Landslide, Heavy Snowfall.
- Any other services not specified in inclusion.
- In case of any room availability issues in Kibber, stay will be provided in Kaza.
- Expedition members are allowed to stay in the forest area until 4 PM as per the forest department rules and safety purposes as well.
- During winters, the water pipes gets frozen in Spiti Valley thus the toilets in the home-stays are compost based.
- We recommend taking a proper health checkup before arrival as weather in Spiti valley changes rapidly and problems like high altitude sickness and breathing problems might arise.
- The Above cost is for a minimum of 5 Persons in a group.
- This Expedition is planned in the best way to help our guests spot the Snow Leopard, however we do not guarantee that everyone will be able to spot it.
- Please contact us for complete package details and terms.